Competitive eating legend Joey Chestnut is still headed to Coney Island this Fourth of July, even while serving probation. The Joey Chestnut’s July 4th Takes Unexpected Turn After Guilty Plea first appeared on The Blast
Competitive eating legend Joey Chestnut is still headed to Coney Island this Fourth of July, even while serving probation. The 17-time Nathan’s Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest champion recently pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor battery charge following a bar altercation in Indiana, but that won’t stop him from defending his title at the iconic annual event.
Joey Chestnut Pleads Guilty After Bar Altercation

According to reports, Chestnut pleaded guilty last month to misdemeanor battery stemming from an incident that took place on March 21 in Hamilton County, Indiana. The competitive eater was sentenced to 180 days of probation following the altercation, which reportedly unfolded after an interaction with another bar patron.
Court records obtained by multiple outlets state Chestnut allegedly exchanged a handshake with someone who recognized him before striking the man on the side of the face “with an open hand.”
When questioned by police, Chestnut reportedly admitted he had been drinking heavily and had little recollection of what happened. He later reviewed surveillance footage and allegedly said the slap “looked like a joke” and that he didn’t realize the incident would escalate into a police matter.
Chestnut Says He Has ‘No Restrictions’

Despite being on probation, Chestnut confirmed he has no travel limitations and is still free to return to New York City for Nathan’s Famous Fourth of July Hot Dog Eating Contest. “I have no restrictions,” Chestnut told USA Today.
The eating champion successfully petitioned to travel outside Indiana, where both he and the incident are based, clearing the way for his return to the famous Coney Island competition.
Joey Chestnut’s Legal Team Speaks Out

Following the guilty plea, Chestnut’s attorney addressed the situation, saying the matter had been resolved after the athlete accepted responsibility. “My client took full responsibility for this misunderstanding and resolved the matter by pleading guilty to a lesser-included offense of Class B misdemeanor battery, one of the lowest-level misdemeanor offenses under Indiana law,” Massillamany told Us Weekly in a statement.
Chestnut’s legal team also insisted the situation was misread and emphasized his connection with fans. The 17-time hot dog-eating champion “regrets engaging and the interaction being misinterpreted.” “He strives to always connect in a fun manner with fans. In this case, some inappropriate things were said that Joey reacted to,” his legal team continued. “He’s committed to avoiding being in those situations going forward.”
Chestnut Dominated Nathan’s Return In 2025

The legal drama comes just one year after Chestnut made a major comeback at Nathan’s Famous Fourth of July Hot Dog Eating Contest. After missing the previous year due to a contract dispute tied to an endorsement deal with Impossible Foods, Chestnut returned in 2025 and reclaimed his throne in dominant fashion. The competitive eating star consumed 70.5 hot dogs and buns in just 10 minutes, securing the $10,000 grand prize and extending his record-breaking number of wins to 17.
Why Was Joey Chestnut Banned in 2024?

As The Blast previously reported, Chestnut’s relationship with Nathan’s Famous hit a major snag in 2024 after he signed an endorsement deal with Impossible Foods, a company known for developing plant-based food products. The partnership quickly sparked controversy after Impossible Foods launched a marketing campaign aimed at meat-eaters, prompting Major League Eating (MLE) to take action.
At the time, MLE announced that Chestnut would not be allowed to compete in Nathan’s Famous Fourth of July Hot Dog Eating Contest, claiming the competitive eating champion had “chosen to represent a rival brand” instead of Nathan’s. “For nearly two decades, we have worked under the same basic hot dog exclusivity provisions,” the statement said. “However, it seems that Joey and his managers have prioritized a new partnership with a different hot dog brand over our long-time relationship.”
Joey Chestnut Addresses The Ban

Chestnut later addressed the ban publicly, expressing disappointment over missing the iconic event while accusing MLE of suddenly shifting expectations. “I love celebrating America with my fans all over this great country on the 4th, and I have been training to defend my title,” Chestnut said. “[The decision by MLE and Nathan’s] will deprive the great fans of the holiday’s usual joy and entertainment.”
Chestnut also claimed MLE was “looking to change the rules from past years as it relates to other partners I can work with.”
But now, with his legal troubles seemingly behind him and no travel restrictions in place, all eyes will be on whether Chestnut can once again dominate the competition and add another Nathan’s title to his already record-breaking legacy.
The Joey Chestnut’s July 4th Takes Unexpected Turn After Guilty Plea first appeared on The Blast
Brooke Shields Reveals Her Fears Over Daughter Rowan’s New Bravo TV Debut
Race For The Next Pamela Anderson In ‘Baywatch’ Is On As ‘Tension’ Rises
Meghan Markle’s Airline Note Fuels UK Return Rumors
Snooki Says She ‘Couldn’t Breathe’ After Cosmetic Procedure
Kacey Musgraves Slammed For ‘Rude’ Reply To Clothing Line Complaints